Venue: Microsoft Teams (Remote Audio-Video Conference). View directions
Contact: Veronika Quintyne Tel: (0116) 257 2648 Email: email@example.com
Note: In light of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, this meeting is to be held as a remote video conference facilitated by the ZOOM video conferencing platform.
Apologies for Absence
Jackie Earl, Chief Executive Officer LGBT Centre
Sue Renton, Social Prescribing Link Worker O&W PCN Surgeries
Roger Allsopp, Eyres Monsell Baptist Church
Louise Pettitt, Family Services Manager Locality Team
Minutes of the Previous Meeting PDF 192 KB
The minutes of the meeting of the Community Engagement Forum held on 18th February were approved.
There are no Matters Arising Issues. All the organisations awarded funding at the previous meeting have received their funding.
The Future of the Community Hub PDF 293 KB
· Councillor Samia Haq confirmed that she and Dave Gill had a pre-meeting to discuss the opportunity to take the Community Hub forwards with the CEF. Dave confirmed he would look at what resource (people) could be put into the new Community Hub. Decision on whether the Hub will be a physical Office or virtual TBC. Aim to create one overarching group.
· Philippa went through Dave Gill’s Community Hub graph and explained the proposed groups/people we can engage with, and areas of work and structured approach. She confirmed some larger councils have moved from a basic council hub to stronger engaged Community Hub with a vision. Currently gathering information and learning from other LA’s.
Councillor John Boyce stated:
· Community spirit in Oadby and Wigston is strong.
· The future is complicated and significant change is likely.
· We have no idea how long the borough as a ‘borough’ will exist.
· The next 18 months will be a challenge financially.
· Resource (people) is strong and we need to build on this.
· The Council resource and structure will need to be reviewed, and identify what we do and do not do.
· It could mean we change the way the Officer or Council is set up.
Councillor Jeffrey Kaufman
· Has concerns about those who do not have access to social media. Requested that Letterbox is brought back.
· Also concerned about what resource we will have to run the Community Hub going forwards.
· Need to get young people involved.
· Libraries have gone through a restructure – it now supports Community ‘managed’ libraries so fits well with the Hub agenda. They have funding from the Better Care fund, looking at supporting volunteering and helping people with social interaction and heritage.
· Query on how the hub will go forwards, practically.
· Food banks – grants would be helpful and to communicate better.
· Be mindful of the three distinct Town Centres/communities.
· Help isolated people/ lots of fake news around – people coming off social media.
· Lots of WhatsApp groups (some by individual roads) – need to pull these together.
· Some people have still not heard about the Community Hub. Need improved communications.
· Important not to duplicate work, as various work streams are taking place.
· Health Watch’s feedback from users was about digital exclusion/ language barriers therefore need to look at difference communication methods.
· One person on a street could share social media posts to those who do not have access to the internet.
· Use of local radio.
· Keep other services updated so they can signpost back into services.
· Community spirit on own streets.
· Thanked everyone for their valuable contribution.
· It is clear there are a lot of local groups out there including WhatsApp groups, some of which we are still not aware of, therefore a mapping exercise would be helpful to better understand what we collectively have in place.
· Important to ensure we don’t duplicate work.
· Need to better communicate the Community Hub offer.
· Some people turning away from social media, or are not on social media ... view the full minutes text for item 4.
Any Other Business
· The Library service was restructured on 1st July 2020. It has a participation arm which is meeting with Menphys to develop connective support across the community. Discussion has also taken place with the two Borough Local Area Coordinators.
· Social Care has provided funding and is looking at how heritage can be developed in the community which connects with everyone. The lead on this is the County Council.
Date of the Next Meeting- TBC
A provisional date of 27 Oct 2020 at 1.30 pm, was agreed at the forum.